The following took place a few days ago...
many moons ago> I purchased a zaurus 860
and I used the default sharp ROM.
But there was only add hoc development of programs I wanted to run so I switched to cacko
After sometime this too became unstaffed (there was only ever one developer/maintainer) so I sought out the many different ROMS available, looking for one that was in active development.
I thought my search had ended when I found pdaXrom
but last year after enjoying very active development community all development stopped
I had looked around and found Angstrom
but it was targeting lots of PDAs and no stable releases had been released back then. Well I had another look and it is much more spritely now.
was famous for its uboot system
, so I had to revert to the original sharp ROM but installing Angstrom
was then easy.
Wifi support was the main problem I had had with the zaurus
so I was very pleasantly surprised that it worked perfectly, though there was no obvious dhcp client, had to use the GUI (now found udhcpc).
So everything was hunky dory ? almost. I used the package management system to install applications I wanted one after another via the wifi until "Error: no space on device". Oops! I had forgotten how small the internal drive is.
I had a 512mb SD card in the machine soooo.. I was VERY sneaky, I do not recommend you follow what happens next ...
I used du to find out that most of the space was being used by /usr, so I created a copy on my SD card and tried to make a symlink to that directory but couldn't cos the drive was FAT16 (needed for all the ROM swapping).
Reformatted ext2, re-copied /usr successfully created a symlink from /usR to the /usr on the SD card moved the original /usr to /usr.old and moved the /usR sylink to /usr and rebooted ...
It worked everything worked perfectly ... NOT! most things worked but the special keys on the keyboard were failing so I could not type "/" which was a pain, luckily I could use the on-screen keyboard but it still took ages to run commands etc.
The "Fn" modifier key was returning a "~" and shift was not affecting the other keys as expected.
Turns out the loadkeys command was in /usr/bin and was run before the drive was mounted ;)
Copied over the loadkey cut and awk commands to /bin but it needs libconsole from... u guessed it /usr/lib.
In the end I just moved the startup script for loadkeys to the end of the sequence after the drivers are mounted.
hmmmm, now wifi is not working :(