just another web log

28 Feb 2018:
huge 3d printing tiny hat error
So, I got distracted by Blender again...

I have wanted to try https://www.shapeways.com for many years, so I created this construction hard hat. The idea being, it would only take a few minutes to construct, because it is such a simple shape.

Two hours later and 12 revisions and I had something that was halfway reasonable.
Construction hard hat represented from different angles in Blender

Notice how the hat length is 2 and a bit Blender units long.

Sent it off to https://www.shapeways.com and in less than four days and for €11 a package was delivered.

Only I got the scale a little wrong. I thought I selected each unit as one inch but turns out I got 1 Blender unit = 1cm.

Photo of a tiny 3d printed hard hat next to a ruler

So it's a little on the small side. Slightly too big to be any use to Lego people and not big enough to have as a desk toy. The quality is pretty darn good. It feels perfectly smooth and all the details are there.

And yes going back and checking my order, it does say "cm", but I could have sworn I set it to inches.

I tried creating a new order and setting it to "inches" which it promptly converted back to "cm" and the price tripled. Will not be reordering from there.

There is a UK based company that I may try http://uk-3d.com as they specifically have a nice yellow plastic a good workflow.
28 Feb 2018:
salmonella ate my weaks
OK, missed a few weeks of life there due to a salmonella type bug. Not pretty.

but the Raspberry Pi videos were done. Still need to composite them but the Python scripts worked as planned.

Got a ton of catching up to do...
07 Feb 2018:
oh dear what can the frame be
It was all going so well. The four python scripts for automating Blender rendering were working.

I rendered a full screen animation in just under three days. But the result was too noisy. I updated my new render_finally.py to include clamp values and had started another 3 day render.

Turning my attention to the fact that I wanted the animations to be staggered e.g. first 2 seconds from the first video then the next 2 seconds from the next. Staggered so that to the viewer the model just kept turning.

made github repository for the script video-sequence-splicer

This went really well right up to the testing of the finished videos, you see there was a glitch. The animation would revert a few degrees and then start turning again.

I found the last video was slower than what I remembered from viewing the first few. Sure enough the animation was "delayed" and further investigation showed I had inadvertently set the frame to 11 in all the Blender files from 52 onward. What was worse was, that all of those had the window layout set to hide the time line so I might have never seen it.

The fix is easy but painful. I updated the track.py script to include a "set frame to 0" before doing anything.
bpy.context.scene.frame_current = 0

Now I have to go back and re-render 80 videos. At least my script will make it painless from a interaction point of view.
loading results, please wait loading animateloading animateloading animate
[More tags]
rss feed



flog archives

Disclaimer: This page is by me for me, if you are not me then please be aware of the following
I am not responsible for anything that works or does not work including files and pages made available at www.jumpstation.co.uk I am also not responsible for any information(or what you or others do with it) available at www.jumpstation.co.uk In fact I'm not responsible for anything ever, so there!